When in doubt.....read on!!
CRUMBS from the TABLE - May 5th...1998
- by Edward Price
1 Kings 18:21 - "And Elijah came to all the people, and said, 'How long will you falter between two opinions? If the LORD is God, follow Him; but if Baal, then follow him.' But the people answered him not a word."
Whenever there is doubt or uncertainty in the path ways of life we will always halt or falter between two or more opinions. The cure for doubt depends to some extent on the thing doubted. However, you will discover the real problem is not in the object doubted but in the subject who doubts. But there are several steps that can be taken to help relieve doubt in every Christian:
1) CONFESS THE DOUBT TO GOD AS SIN. Doubt is basically unbelief in God and His Word and is therefore sin (Rom. 14:23; Heb. 11:6). God has promised to hear our confession of even the darkest unbelief.
2) STUDY THE EVIDENCE FOR THE CHRISTIAN FAITH. We as Christians have nothing to fear by looking into the facts from any source of knowledge. The greatest evidence for the validity of Christianity, the resurrection of Christ, is attested by many proofs. Among these are the empty tomb, post-resurrection appearances and transformed disciples. Since the Resurrection is true, it verifies everything the Bible says.
3) MAKE CERTAIN OF YOUR SALVATION. Paul exhorts all of us to examine ourselves to make sure that we are genuine Christians (2 Cor. 13:5). So did the author of Hebrews ( Heb. 6:1-9). Salvation from sin is by trust in Jesus Christ. Until you are assured of your salvation you will be troubled by enormous doubts.
4) FAITHFULLY STUDY THE WORD OF GOD. "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God" (Rom. 10:17). Through study and application of the Bible, our faith is strengthened and matured. Most especially, we must master the doctrines or basic teachings of the Bible if we are to be stable, mature Christians (1 Tim. 4:13,16; 2 Tim. 3:16; Titus 2:1,10).
5) PRAY. The surest way to face doubts when they come is to have an extensive past history of answered prayer. The more a Christian prays with faith, the more a person sees God answer prayer, the stronger that person's faith becomes while the doubt becomes less.
Everyone of us have and/or will face times of doubt and uncertainty in our Christian lives. But it's not the doubt so much as what you do in times of doubt. For our scripture this morning says, "How long will you falter between two opinions", or your bible may say "halt between two opinions"; it makes no difference for both means your progress has been stopped.
Notice if you will the words of the prophet..."If the LORD is God, follow Him; but if Baal, then follow him." The question for you today is...Who is the god in your life? IF is a condition statement, it is a fork in the road, it's place of choices and decisions, it's where doubt will arise if there is uncertainty in you!
I declare unto you today to ...Never doubt when you are at the crossroads of life and not knowing which way to go, but Trust God for His Word is a "lamp to my feet and a light to my path."
I leave you today with this thought...FEED YOUR FAITH and DOUBT WILL FLEE!
Have a Blessed Day ...Be PRAYERFUL and THANKFUL for all things !!!
Please send any comments to...